- This event has passed.
TRB Webinar: Steel your bridges – Preservation practices for steel bridge coatings
May 7 @ 2:00 pm - 3:30 pm
Does your organization manage steel bridges? TRB is hosting a webinar on Thursday, May 7, 2020 from 2:00 to 3:30 PM Eastern that will identify challenges of maintaining coating on steel bridges. Operating agencies must maintain the coating in order to protect the bridges from corrosion. This webinar will discuss coating and recoating methods that may extend bridges’ service lives and save costs. Presenters will identify strategies transportation agencies use in the areas of surface preparation, specifications for coating systems, quality assurance coating inspection requirements, and coating warranties.
This webinar draws on research from the NCHRP Domestic Scan Program, Project 20-68A Scan 15-03: Successful Preservation Practices for Steel Bridge Coatings.
Some registrants will need to pay $95 to attend this webinar. Sign into MyTRB.org to view registration information.
Webinar agenda and presenters
- Background of steel bridge coatings: Paul Vinik, Greenman-Pedersen Inc.
- Surface preparations, specifications for coating systems: Kevin Shearmire, Oregon Department of Transportation
- Quality assurance and quality control requirements, coating warranties: Ray Bottenberg, Oregon Department of Transportation
- Question and answer session: Moderated by Paul Vinik, Greenman-Pedersen Inc.
The first 60 minutes of the webinar will be for presentations and the final 30 minutes will be reserved for audience questions.
At the end of this webinar, participants will be able to:
- Discuss coating and recoating methods
- Identify various specifications for coating systems, including coating application practices, coating materials, stripe coats, and access and containment for a coating project
- Determine the difference between coating Quality Assurance and Quality Control, including who has responsibility for which
- Discuss current practices for the use of warranty contracts for bridge coatings
Professional Development Hour Information
Professional engineers (PEs) who register and attend the entire webinar as an individual will be awarded 1.5 Professional Development Hours (PDHs). TRB’s webinar program awards PDH credits only to the registered individual, and not to other members of a group that view the webinar together. To be eligible for the credits, individuals must remain signed in for the entire webinar, including for any question and answer session following the presentations.
Pre-registration is required. Once the webinar starts, you will be unable to register. Individuals that are registered for a webinar but do not receive their confirmation emails due to their organization’s internal firewalls should contact the TRB Helpdesk for assistance in signing in.
Please check with your licensing board to ensure that TRB webinar PDHs are approved by your board.
TRB will report credits earned to the Registered Continuing Education Program (RCEP). Complaints about registered providers may be sent to RCEP, 1015 15th Street, NW, 8th Floor, Washington, D.C., 20005.
Registration questions? Contact Reggie Gillum.