- This event has passed.
COMTO and TRB Webinar: Balancing the Scales–Equity Analysis in Transportation Planning
October 22 @ 2:00 pm - 3:30 pm
Historically, certain individuals and communities, including those from minority, low-income, and limited English proficiency populations, have not benefited equitably from transportation investments and programs. Understanding the impacts of transportation investments on these individuals and communities and taking steps to address inequities are critical functions of transportation agencies. TRB will cohost a webinar with COMTO on Thursday, October 22, 2020 from 2:00 to 3:30 pm Eastern that will help transportation planners develop and implement equity analyses that address the unique contexts of their communities. The interactive presentation lays out a five-step framework for conducting equity analyses for regional transportation plans and programs, illustrated by case studies.
This webinar is sponsored by TRB and COMTO. The webinar is based on TCRP Research Report 214: Guide to Equity Analysis in Regional Transportation Planning Processes.
There is no fee to attend this webinar. Sign into MyTRB.org to view registration information.
Webinar agenda and presenters
1) Understanding equity definitions and requirements for more robust considerations in transportation planning: Hannah Twaddell & Sherri Steine, ICF
2) Structured needs assessment and population-weighted approach for multimodal connectivity in low-income and minority areas: Nick Gill, Mid-Ohio Regional Planning Commission
3) Conveying equity analyses findings through communications strategies and public outreach techniques: Grace Cho, Oregon Metro
4) Question and answer session: Moderator Lee L. Davis, Lee L. Davis & Associates
The first 65 minutes of the webinar will be for presentations and the final 25 minutes will be reserved for audience questions.
At the end of this webinar, you will be able to:
- Identify the blend of qualitative and quantitative assessments needed for equitable decision-making
- Understand the inclusive engagement and thoughtful communication fundamental to effective equity-related analyses
- Enrich each step of an equity analysis by applying two or more analysis techniques